PS4 Neo and Xbox One S / Scorpio *Updated* 9/23/16 PS4 Neo is the PS4 Pro

 I've been a gamer for a long time, probably most of my life, the first console I had was the NES. I had at least one console from every generation after that from genesis and SNES to Dreamcast to Xbox and Ps2....the list goes on. This console generation is particularly interesting because we are having mid life span refreshes of the current consoles. I completely understand the reason why they are doing this, but I don't agree with it at all.

The PS4 and Xbox One were already obsolete when they dropped, they were under powered and they can barely do 1080p. I'm not a picky person when it comes to graphics but there isn't a significant difference in graphics between the previous generation and this one. Sony and Microsoft intentionally made the consoles under powered to keep the costs down which in the short term has been beneficial to them until now. The main problem is PCs can far exceed the graphics on these consoles and developers actually dumb the graphics down on games so that they run on the PS4 and Xbox one.

So now we have 4K tvs and monitors that these current consoles can't output to. Its like Sony and Microsoft put themselves in a tricky situation, either do nothing or release upgraded versions of the current consoles that can output 4k and handle more intense graphics. Sony chose to release the PS4 Neo which is going to be able to output 4K. Microsoft chose to release the Xbox One S which will be able to output 4k and is a much slimmer model. Microsoft is also releasing the Xbox One Scorpio which will be several times more powerful than the Xbox One. Both companies claim that games will work all systems and no one is going to be left out, but that's a lie, there's no way that developers are going to make games that will work on all of these systems. Sony and Microsoft are going to segment the market and confuse people, the average person is not going to understand the differences between these consoles. I don't see this going well at all, I think these companies don't realize that many customers are parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles who have no idea about graphics and resolution and compatibility, all they know is they have a child who wants the new game system.

I think they are going to lose more they think they will gain, uneducated consumers will be confused as hell and many experienced may not even bother upgrading to a product that is only marginally better than what they already spent their money on. I think Microsoft is really screwing themselves with the Scorpio because its going to be significantly different from the Xbox One, I don't see how games are going to be able to run on both consoles without seeing a huge graphical difference. That brings me to my next point, why not get a PC, why bother with getting an upgraded console in the first place. The whole point of having a console is ease of use and convenience, I don't think console owners should have to worry about upgrades or if this game is going to work on their system or if there is going to be a huge graphical difference between this version of the game versus that one on the upgraded console. It really is a slap in the face to consumer and it's going to alienate a lot of people. I some people are looking forward to this upgrade and there's nothing wrong with that but the majority of people are not going to be feeling this fragmentation.

Because I'm a gamer, I hope this works out because I don't want to see these companies go under (especially Sony) but it's not fair to the consumer, they should have came right the first time or not bother at all.

Comments